Leanne Pilkington shares the top things she has learned during the COVID-19 pandemic, including what to do in the middle of a crisis, when she is working from home and once the weekend arrives.
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed our lives drastically. Now, more than ever, it is important to be regularly checking in with your friends, family, clients and colleagues.
Through all the back-to-back Zoom meetings, office equipment moving, yoga pants wearing and check-ins with people around me, there have been many things I have learned from this shutdown we’ve all experienced. Here’s what the shutdown has taught me:
When I am in the middle of a crisis…
- People want clear, simple information that they can trust.
- You cannot over-communicate.
- It is reassuring for people when you communicate regularly.
- Everybody reacts and copes differently.
- Staying calm helps everyone, because buying into the drama causes more stress.
- Being of service to others helps you as much as it helps them.
When I am working from home…
- Routine, structure and rituals are now more important than ever.
- I actually see and talk to my team more than normal.
- Exercise is essential. Even though it might be different, let your body tell you what it needs.
- Looking the part helps you be the part.
- Yoga pants go with EVERYTHING!
- You never need to wear high-heels (and if you have a pair handy for Zoom show-and-tell, no one ever needs to know.
When it’s the weekend…
- I express gratitude for the relationship I have with my husband!
- I realise it will take a long time for me to miss going out.
- I know there is always another cupboard that needs spring cleaning.
- The truth is, there are some jobs that you will NEVER find the time to do.
- I still don’t have time to read a book.
- They still go fast, even when you don’t leave the house!